www.appliedproductivity.com

Sunday 2 March 2014

About Me

Most blogs have an About Me section displayed prominently beside the  blog itself.I have added to the profile but blogger will not take the adjustments I make.So I have added this blog to explain about me.I have in various blogs on Workathon told about professors and courses that I took getting my master's degree in economics.The chairman for economics at the University of Ottawa was a professor called De Kuiper;he had been a former Chief Statistician from Statistics Canada and the chairman of graduate studies in the department was a man called Willy Sellekaerts who had won a Fullbright scholarship at William and Mary University.Fullbright scholarships are more rare and harder to get than Rhodes scholarshiops;he was a very studied man.
  In addition, I got my M.B.A (in finance) at the university of Ottawa.In fact, I did not get a diploma because I didn't complete one introductory course in personnel management.
   Better information
I discovered reading company reports (quarterly reports and information reports) that many of these reports were too technical and not clear.I thought many shareholders would not be able to understand them.This is what many of the blogs in my other blog(calledBlogdaleupsome) does;it explains more clearly these reports and reads between the lines.I figure that this might be worth something to quite a few shareholders and so my blog would be well read.The blog(Blogdaleupsome) also forecasts revenues and earnings,including earnings per share. Shareholders who have lots of information on forecasted earnings may read my blog and decide for themselves if my forecasts are accurate or not.However I never just forecast I always provide information on some aspect that is not covered by other brokers such as an interesting investment the company could make.
  Arbitrage
I also look at value pricing;I find companies that,for example,have very low earnings and the price of the shares does not properly reflect it.I ,in that case, may point out that the proper value of the lower-priced stock should be more in line with other higher-priced stocks.There are many examples of this on the T.S.X.For example, the P/E ratio for one stock may be well below the industry or the index average.My blog would try to point out this situation.This might reduce the shareholder equity for the over-priced stock but more likely will raise the price of the lower-priced one.In other words I am counting on this blog to make better investors of at least a few shareholders and increase the equity of a few companies.That is the raison d'etre of both blogs and that is something About Me.

3 comments:

  1. Not to quibble, but I studied at theUniversity of Ottawa's economics department way back when, from 1971-1975 -- when Willy Sellekaerts was there. I had my first research assistantship back then, under him, and took two courses under him, and I felt he was an outstanding scholar. He left U of O to teach and research at the Wharton School of Economics at the University ofPennsylvania, a prestigious school.

    But, the chair of the department way back then, in the early 1970s, was a Dutch fellow called John Kuiper -- and other prof who gave me a break when I really needed one. I am not sure that DeKeyser was at U of O -- I googled his name and "Statistics Canada" and it turns up nothing. -- David Murrell (PhD), Economics, UNB dmurrell@unb.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. david, as I feel I can call you david now.I have no email to reply for you and google left only one avenue to reply .I also knew Gordon Boreham and Tom Giddings.As you point out it was not DeKeyser I think it was De Kuiper.
      I was taught by three Chief Statisticians;one was De Kuiper.
      Very good talking to you but you could go on my Linked In site.

      Delete
    2. david, I really thought that you would have put up another comment on a blog by now.I really enjoy reminiscing about the old days.Another professor I had was Kelvin Langcaster;he came to Ottawa for the summer.He may have been invited by Willie.
      I am sure that if you emailed him aand asked him if he came to Ottawa in 1973 for the summer and taught Advanced Calculus and Control Theory that he would thank you.He can be reached at Columbia in New York..

      Delete