www.appliedproductivity.com

Monday 31 March 2014

Letters on my shingle

I have let readers of my blog know that I have hung out my shingle and am looking for consulting business.Some might reply to Workathon and some might send me an email.Google Analytics shows that Workathon gets  a lot of readers.So far there have been no contacts.I have explained in  previous blogs that I have my Master's degree in Economics plus one course short of my M.B.A. and four or five courses short of my Chartered Management Accounting degree.But these are simply letters on my shingle.This does not guarantee practical advice to any" wannabe" customers.They want practical experience.
So I can add that I have worked as a management consultant in the federal government and as an economist in the federal government.However potential customers in the Huronia region know that industry in this region is quite different than working in the federal government. And they are right.
       The real world
    After I left the federal government(as a civil servant) I had to get licences to work in the industrial town of Cambridge (8 miles from Kitchener).The first licence I got was a real estate licence and I worked for two years with a company called Olsen Real Estate.My first year I was in the middle of the pack;half sold more than me and half sold less.But the next year was a recession and lots of people left real estate and I was one of them.Still I had 10 to 15 listings and 15 to 20 sales.I had partly learned the trade.Next I turned to stocks and bonds and mutual funds. I studied for three months and took my exam and passed the Canadian Securities Course(C.S.C).I mostly sold mutual funds as people wanted to buy stocks and bonds from larger companies.But the mutual funds I sold did very well.Lastly I decided to get my life insurance and accident and sickness licence.I passed it right away.At first I sold for Mutual Life acquired by Clarica and then Sun Life.But I was much more successful selling it with my own company as a self employed agent.I found a number of small companies that competed on lower prices and I did sell quite a bit of insurance.In particular these small companies offered health insurance that I sold to seniors and people who travelled to the south for winter.This was quite successful for awhile.It is primarily because of this experience  that I think I can offer acceptable advice to small companies in this region. But it is nice to have a few letters on my shingle.

No comments:

Post a Comment