www.appliedproductivity.com

Wednesday 19 March 2014

Putting out a shingle

In  previous blogs I told about getting my Master's degree in Economics and most of my M.B.A.However I still encountered difficulties and left my job in the federal civil service.My last job was as a senior economist.I left Ottawa and worked for awhile in real estate.I decided that I needed more practical education and enrolled in a program to get a C.M.A (chartered management accountant).I met a C.M.A administrator and he told me that I had to take my courses at an university. In this case he suggested Wilfrid Laurier University;it had a pretty good business school and offered night courses. 
      Education
I told the administrator that I had obtained a Master's degree in Economics and most of a M.B.A at the university of Ottawa.He told me that I would have to be tested to see if my level was high enough to get credit for the courses I took at the C.M.A.level.Like I had done for my M.B.A credits;I had to pass a course in Statistics at the 70% level at Sir Wilfrid Laurier University.I took it and passed at the required level.I believe that there were about 15 courses to get your accreditation.I think I now had credit for about 10 courses, including my economic courses which were obligatory.Next I had to take Advanced Management Accounting..I had a hard time here because the homework was supposed to be done on a computer spreadsheet;however the exam could be done by hand.I barely passed it but I passed.Now I had only about four courses to go to get my accreditation.The next course was Advanced Finance and I enrolled.Here I found out that you were expected to own a computer and everything was done on computer spreadsheets(including the exam).I dropped out after three classes.However I did get a taste of what was required to be a C.MA.This experience along with my M.B.A.(minus one course) and my Master's in Economics made me ready to do some consulting I felt.
   Experience
These course should qualify me for many(but not all) management consulting jobs, especially in the immediate region I am in.It certainly was handy using it to write my blogs.I have a variety of tasks that I do on my blogs;I offer clarification on technical quarterly performance reports and financial events relating to a number of companies( many of which I own and have a keen interest).I offer advice on technical and financial  problems that these companies (listed on the T.S.X) have to improve earnings and the price of shares.However the hope is that regional companies will read my blogs and comment or email me to ask for advice through texting or in person.This is my goal.So far I have no comments nor emails from interested companies.The kind of project I would like is improving efficiency,increasing revenues(organically or through mergers or acquisitions).I have most of my experience in doing this through my blogs but I do have some consulting experience in the federal civil service also.
           Fees
My fees would be similar to most lawyers (on a contingency basis).The more complex the project, the higher the fee but no fee until the problem is solved.Many small projects would require only 5% of the money involved.Bigger and more complicated projects would earn 20 to 25 % of the return to the customer.                 send inquiries to workathon or to daleandmac@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment